Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June 17, 2014 - Munich

The last ten days have been much busier as I have finally found a bit of stride in my daily routine. Work for Kunstkreis Gräfelfing has remained a slow, but I am helping whenever I can. My main task for the past week has been to construct the price and insurance list for the work in the show. It's fairly straightforward computer-work, but it has been nice to familiarize myself with the exhibition that will be going up in the beginning of July. We're distributing flyers and posting banners around town, as well as mailing many hundreds out to people around Germany and the world, getting the word out for the event. The kunstverein has a good reputation for putting on ambitious and exciting shows, so I'm interested to see the turnout.


When I'm not working for the kunstverein I am splitting my time between the bustle of Munich and relaxing in Gräfelfing, thinking and making future plans, reading, sketching, visiting with my hosts, and cuddling with Manu's cats, Feta and Meep-Meep. I keep finding great places to eat with the help of Irmi, Bettina, as well the internet community. The world cup has been fun to watch, and I can't deny that my interest in the sport has increased because of my location. In the future I plan to go into Munich during a game in which Germany plays, maybe the one against the US. I've heard it gets a little crazy, and I can't wait to see it firsthand.


I found out quickly where the touristy spots in Munich are and luckily it's not really too close to where I want to spend my time. The city is fairly sprawling, but I've tried to spend as much time walking as possible, electing not to take the train because of what I might miss in between stops. The museums are just north of the city center, but are huddled together near a few universities, making them easily accessible on a schedule. I've hit most of the places that I'm most interested in, such as a conversation with Matthew Barney at the Haus der Kunst, Pinakothek der Moderne, Museum Brandhorst, Lenbachhaus, and a few scattered galleries through the city. With all the things and places I've been to in the last month I've been able to refine the efficiency of my eye, now able to quickly peruse a gallery of work and identify what I like and don't like, but more importantly why I feel that way. I've been taking as many pictures as possible of the work that interests me, at least in the places where they allow it.


Although the city doesn't seem nearly as old as some of the places I've visited on this trip, I can still find the history. The architecture is sometimes an odd mix of modern and classic styles often sitting right beside each other,  magnifying the contrast. New buildings like Museum Brandhorst are signs of a progressive side of the German art scene, whereas a historical site like Königsplatz still carry all the weight of a community that refuses to completely dispose of its past (and rightfully so). Few places blend modernity and history as seamlessly as the 1972 Olympic stadium and park. It seems to me that the German culture ascribes more to the proverb "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it" than the American culture does. The psychologist in me regularly contemplates the effect this has on those who grow up here. My impression, at least of the general social psyche, is that they balance it very well with their ambitions for the future. I respect that a lot.


One of my missions while here has been to find a hackey sack in the colors of the German flag. For a country that is so soccer obsessed, this has proven astoundingly difficult. I did however meet a couple guys outside the Pinakothek der Moderne who were playing and decided to ask if I could join. They were totally new to the sport, playing with a brand new bag stuffed full of beads. I did my best to show them a little bit and we got to know each other. In the couple hours we spent playing in the sun I managed not only to show them a few things but also not get burnt to a crisp. Win-win. They showed me a great place to get dinner and then left to study. Marcus and Phillipp are nice and interesting physics students who I'm sure to see a few more times before I leave.


With just over a month left in Europe I am excited to look back on what I've already seen and done. It's hard not to looking forward too much to my return home to see Krista and the rest of my family, to the point where it gets difficult and emotional, but there is so much left to to here that I'm sure it will go by quickly. The one thing for sure is that I'm enjoying my time here and making the most of it. Before I know it I'll be back in the thick of school and stressed out about making a good show of my final year. With less than 12 months before my final graduation it's impossible to not be looking ahead, but I've gotten used to the regular flow of inspiration. The only difficulty now is filtering out the crap and concentrating on the few good, meaningful ideas. At least, I hope they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment